Human occupation of this part of the Murray Valley began with Aboriginal people thousands of years ago. The Aborigines pattern of life remained undisturbed until in 1824 the explorers Hume and Hovell arrived. By 1836 the first white settler, Robert Brown had opened a store near the river crossing place.
The new town was surveyed by 1838 and named after an English village and at the same time the first police camp was established near the Crossing Place. Albury town life has been recorded in local newspapers since 1856. The first council in Albury was elected in 1859 with J T Fallon as Mayor.
Albury became a city in 1946 with a population of 15,000. The city absorbed Lavington
and Thurgoona villages in 1962 and much of Hume Shire in 2004. In 1973 the city became
part of the Albury-
The Albury & District Historical Society Inc was founded in 1960 to play a part in the preservation of the history of the city and its surrounding district. The Society maintains a program of meetings, research and publications, and cooperates and liaises with other institutions including the AlburyCity LibraryMuseum, and other regional historical societies and museums. A folk museum collection assembled by the Society was formally given to the City of Albury in 2003 and now forms the basis of the “Crossing Place ”exhibition at the Albury LibraryMuseum.
Annual membership fees are due on 1 June each year.
Single: $25; Family: $33; Corporate: $50. Half yearly membership is also available. Membership includes the monthly Bulletin, 11 times per year.
Renewals and Membership Applications
Please go to the downloads page and print the Renewals/ Application for Membership form.
Society President, Mr. Chris McQuellin. Phone: 02 6021 3697.
Secretary: Mrs. Helen Livsey Phone: 02 6021 3671.
Regular meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month (except January) usually at the Commercial Club Albury commencing at 7.30 pm. Visitors and guests are always welcome. Please check details of forthcoming meetings in Society News
Research is undertaken about former residents, commercial and residential properties, businesses and organisations for a fee of $25 per hour.
Enquiries are welcomed in writing -
Albury & District Historical Society
PO Box 822. Albury NSW 2640.
Site updated: 25/3/13